Health & Safety
At CMS, a commitment to health and safety is our way of doing business. Since our inception we have understood that keeping our people safe is not just the right thing to do, it’s the smart thing to do. Our strong corporate commitment to health and safety, is evidenced by our exemplary safety record, with zero OSHA safety citations and an exemplary Experience Modification Rate (EMR) from the National Council on Compensation Insurance. We attribute this record to the organization’s dedication to safety awareness and training and to our personnel, who put this training into practice every day on every job. Due to the nature of the services performed by CMS, safety is a principal concern for every project. Our goal on each project is to establish safety standards and mandatory safety practices and procedures. To accomplish this goal, CMS assigns responsibilities, establishes standard operating procedures, and provides for contingencies that may arise while work is being performed.
The objective of CMS’s Health & Safety Program is zero disabling injuries and illnesses. We aim not just to equal the average safety records of operations similar to ours nationwide, but to surpass them. Our program includes:
- Providing mechanical and physical safeguards to the maximum extent possible
- Conducting on-going health and safety and environmental inspections to find and eliminate unsafe working conditions/practices; to control hazards to employees’ health; to fully comply with job safety, health, or environmental standards; and to seek out and correct any condition that could feasibly harm our employees or the environment
- Training all of our employees properly on health and safety practices and procedures
- Developing and enforcing health and safety rules and requiring that team members adhere to these rules at the time of hire and as a condition of continuing employment
- Investigating every incident/accident promptly and thoroughly to ascertain the cause and take corrective action if necessary
- Supporting and encouraging team member participation in the day-to-day execution of the contract
- Recognizing that every CMS employee is responsible for leadership in the health and safety program, and for its effectiveness and improvement
- Obtaining team member participation in the health and safety process
As a result of our strong culture of promoting health and safety, CMS team members display exemplary participation in all aspects of our Safety Program, including compliance with all rules and regulations, and continually utilize good health, safety, and environmental practices while performing their duties.